I was stumbling along the internet today while working and I came across a list made by a 90 year old writer. I spent some time reading it and then promptly stood up. Something about this list made me realize that I needed a break. Maybe it was number 38.
I went outside for some fresh air and smiled. I felt like running. I ran up the steps to the lodge building, over the deck, down the steps on the other side and then out into the woods. I jogged along the path and basked in the glory of the green and the orange and the rain droplets that fell on me each time I brushed by a plant or bush.... Finally, I reached our riverside cabin and it's there that I took another deep breath and looked out upon the lake. The sky was blue. There were rain droplets on the deck and along the sleeves of my shirt. *sigh... It's a beautiful day. The air feels good in my lungs. I feel pretty grateful today.
Life Lessons 1-44
01. Life isn't fair, but it's still good.
02. When in doubt, just take the next small step.
03. Life is too short to waste time hating anyone.
04. Your job won't take care of you when you are sick. Your friends and parents will. Stay in touch.
05. Pay off your credit cards every month.
06. You don't have to win every argument. Agree to disagree.
07. Cry with someone. It's more healing than crying alone.
08. It's OK to get angry with God. He can take it.
09. Save for retirement starting with your first paycheck.
10. When it comes to chocolate, resistance is futile.
11. Make peace with your past, so it won't screw up the present.
12. It's OK to let your children see you cry.
13. Don't compare your life to others. You have no idea what their journey is all about.
14. If a relationship has to be a secret, you shouldn't be in it.
15. Everything can change in the blink of an eye. But don't worry; God never blinks.
16. Take a deep breath. It calms the mind.
17. Get rid of anything that isn't useful, beautiful or joyful.
18. Whatever doesn't kill you really does make you stronger.
19. It's never too late to have a happy childhood. But the second one is up to you and no one else.
20. When it comes to going after what you love in life, don't take no for an answer.
21. Burn the candles, use the nice sheets, wear the fancy lingerie. Don't save it for a special occasion. Today is special.
22. Over prepare, then go with the flow.
23. Be eccentric now. Don't wait for old age to wear purple.
24. No one is in charge of your happiness, but you.
25. Frame every so-called disaster with these words ''In five years, will this matter?".
26. Always choose life.
27 Forgive everyone everything.
28. What other people think of you is none of your business.
29. Time heals almost everything. Give time, time.
30. However good or bad a situation is, it will change.
31. Don't take yourself so seriously. No one else does.
32. Believe in miracles.
33. God loves you because of who God is, not because of anything you did or didn't do.
34. Don't audit life. Show up and make the most of it now.
35. Growing old beats the alternative -- dying young.
36. Your children get only one childhood.
37. All that truly matters in the end is that you loved.
38. Get outside every day. Miracles are waiting everywhere.
39. If we all threw our problems in a pile and saw everyone else's, we'd grab ours back.
40. Envy is a waste of time. You already have all you need.
41. The best is yet to come.
42. No matter how you feel, get up, dress up and show up.
44. Life isn't tied with a bow, but it's still a gift.
Love is the essence of our life. I have written this blog with love, and I offer it to you, dear reader, with the hope that the suggestions offered here will become a vital part of your self-healing and continued well-being. ~ Ashley
donating = loving
If you find any joy and value in what I do, please consider becoming a Sustaining Patron with a recurring monthly donation of your choosing - between a cup of tea and a good lunch. My intention is to always keep my research found within The Yoga Blog and Journals for My Daughter free (and ad-free). It takes me hundreds of hours a month to sustain. Your support really matters. All proceeds go directly to Isabella, of course. ❤
♥ $3 / month
♥ $5 / month
♥ $7 / month
♥ $10 / month
♥ $25 / month
You can also become a Spontaneous Supporter with a one-time donation in any amount: